What lies behind Vanguard’s investment success: 6 investing myths to avoid16h00 - 16h30
Conference Room 4
In this 30-minute session, Vanguard’s European head of investment product specialism, Mark Fitzgerald, will explore the fundamental principles of investment success that have served Vanguard’s investors so well as the company has grown to become one of the world’s largest asset managers.
Maintaining a long-term, balanced approach lies at the core of Vanguard’s investment philosophy, helping the firm grow its global multi-asset franchise to over a trillion euros AUM in 2022. Yet the past year has been unusually difficult for multi-asset investors, with global equities and bonds falling in tandem, and bonds in particular posting record losses. Inevitably, this has fueled questions around the role of the traditional balanced portfolio of shares and bonds and has given rise to a number of ‘myths’ around multi-asset investing that have grown in popularity.
To help investors stay focused on their long-term plans amid the volatility, Mark will debunk some of the top myths that have been gaining traction in the current market and highlight the benefits of Vanguard’s long-term balanced approach to investing:
• Myth 1: Bonds no longer provide sufficient diversification from equity markets
• Myth 2: Rising rates are bad for bond investors
• Myth 3: Investors are better off withdrawing to cash until markets recover
• Myth 4: Alternatives offer a better hedge against inflation
• Myth 5: Active managers outperform in down markets
• Myth 6: Thematic exposures help investors navigate volatile markets
There will be a Q&A at the end of the session for participants to ask questions. We hope you’ll join us for this timely and informative discussion.